Internship Program Cost
The Volunteer Adventure Corps international internship program fee is $1,650. We are not an internship placement agency but rather, a professional internship program. If you have studied abroad in Cape Town or have lived in the country for an extended period of time, please contact us about exclusive internship opportunities and discounts we offer those who are returning to South Africa. The following is an overview of the services included in our program fee:
* We guarantee internship placement according to our placement philosophy. Before your internship in Cape Town, South Africa is confirmed, a VACorps staff member will communicate with the identified site to ensure a match between your skill-set and the organization’s needs. While our application process is thorough, we are unyielding in our commitment to creating a Cape Town international internship opportunity that will serve your interests. What we offer, above all else, is the guarantee that after flying across the world to Cape Town, you will have an internship position ready and waiting for you.
* You will be able to participate in our program's weekly Friday Excursions. Excursions take place in the afternoon and are an optional, yet highly recommended, way to see a new part of the city every week while socializing with other interns in the program. The following are examples of previous Friday excursions: surfing lessons at Muizenberg Beach, hikes in Table Mountain National Park (Lion's Head, Boomslang Caves, Elephant's Eye, Constantia Nek, Cecilia Forest), wine tasting in Constantia, chocolate tasting in Franschhoek, picnics in Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, champagne sunset cruises in Table Bay Harbor and the list goes on! Every Tuesday, the week's excursion is announced in our newsletter based and participants sign up for the event on our activities website. See photos from some of our past internship excursions in our gallery. You can also find an archive of excursion photos on our Flickr Page. All Friday Excursions are free.
* Our staff will help you locate furnished housing in Cape Town for the duration of your stay. This service is included in your Cape Town internship costs. Visit the internship program housing page for more information about this service. (Please note that participants are more that welcome to obtain their own lodging independent of VACorps assistance.) Regardless of the size of your budget, we will locate accommodation that suits your needs. Please note that monthly rent is not included in the cost of your South Africa internship fee and you will be responsible for this cost.
* A VACorps staff member will greet you at the airport and take you to your place of accommodation in Cape Town. You will receive a welcome pack, orientation schedule, a neighborhood guide and an emergency pocket card with important local cell phone numbers (VACorps staff, private taxi services, Police, EMS, etc.). You will also receive an orientation cell phone to use for your first few days in the city until you have the opportunity to purchase your own phone and/or get a South African SIM card. When the time comes for you to leave South Africa, we will arrange for your transportation to the airport.
* Upon your arrival, you will participate in an orientation conducted by a VACorps staff member. Orientation lasts two days and serves the purpose of helping you have a safe and successful internship experience in Cape Town. As part of your orientation, you will spend a day learning to use the public transportation system with a member of our staff and will also participate in a Hop-On, Hop-Off City Sightseeing Cape Town bus tour, which will help familiarize you with the city. Your orientation will commence at 10:00 a.m. on the day after your arrival in South Africa.
* Our team is on call 24-hours a day to assist you, whether you require advice, counsel, emergency assistance or even friendship. While we allow our participants a great deal of independence, we also provide you with a reliable support network whenever you require assistance. While participating in an internship in South Africa is an exciting experience, it is equally important that you have someone to turn to when you need assistance in a foreign country. We are always there for you, 24 hours a day. Participants receive a list of emergency contact numbers, including our 24-hour emergency contact number, which is manned by a member of staff.
* We offer a weekly Xhosa class so participants can become familiar with this unique African language. After English, Xhosa is the most commonly spoken language in the Western Cape province.
* All participants will have the opportunity to engage in one of our community development programs on evenings and weekends. VACorps community development projects have included the creation of several community gardens in the Nyanga township as well as the sponsorship of VAC FC, a community soccer club.
* You will receive a weekly participant-only newsletter by email. Please email our program director, if you would like to request a copy of a past newsletter. Newsletters typically make you aware of events happening in Cape Town and preview the Friday afternoon activity and departure time. Newsletters are sent to participants on Tuesday evenings.
* We offer an optional resume/CV consultation service to all of our participants.
* You will receive a copy of our official program guidebook, “The Insider’s Guide to Cape Town” prior to your departure from your home country. Our 44-page guide comes complete with useful information that will help you prepare for your internship in South Africa.
What is not included in our program fee?
* Personal expenses (food, nightlife, weekend activities)
* Private transportation (a requirement for those working at internship sites located within the townships)
* Traveler's insurance