As a senior student or as a recent graduate, a summer internship abroad is not only a practical means to gain work experience, it is also a way for you to explore and gain insight on your chosen career in a new and exciting country. An internship to South Africa and specifically an internship in Cape Town would give you the opportunity to live as a Capetonian and experience the beauty and the buzz of Africa’s most metropolitan and stunning city. Internships go by a number of names, including co-ops, service learning, externships, apprenticeships or fellowships. Whatever name you choose to call it, this system works to the advantage of both the intern and the organization at which they will be interning.
International summer internships may be paid or unpaid, exchanged for credit or not-for-credit, and are available in a wide variety of fields from both the private and nonprofit sectors of the job market. Some internships in South Africa offer a monetary reward such as a stipend, salary, bonus, or money to cover transportation and or food costs and some even offer housing or inexpensive accommodation at a local college for the summer. At VA Corps most of our internships are not remunerated so make sure to enquire beforehand.
Peruse the list below of the most popular internships that we at VA Corps can arrange for you.
* A journalism internship in Cape Town that allows you to gain experience as a journalist at the Big Issue or the Cape Times.
* An engineering internship at WBHO. One of the largest construction companies in Southern Africa, WHBO is also involved in the construction of the 2010 FIFA World Cup stadiums.
* Medical internships welcome all aspiring medical professionals into the country.
* Winery internships at La Couronne wine estate.
* A film internship at Stillking Films, a film studio located at the heart of Cape Town.
* PR and Marketing internships at SMI, a multinational company.
* A design and creative internship that covers marketing, writing, advertising, photography, graphic design and web design.
Apply for an international internship with Volunteer Adventure Corps, one of very few internship organizations in South Africa that can guarantee you an internship placement. In order to ensure that there is a relevant match between your unique skill-set and the requirements of your future employers, VA Corps will always send a staff member to the identified company to assess the situation and working environment even before you set foot on tarmac.
Choosing an internship that suits your needs doesn’t need to be a laborious task. In fact it is very easy, simply go online and browse our Cape Town internship directory on the right-hand sidebar and read a full description of each internship opportunity by clicking on the title. If you find an internship which appeals to you, click on the "remember this internship" button at the bottom of the page to remember the site for your application. Contact us with an initial application and when we have received it, we will match you with the correct internship program that is tailor-made to satisfy your academic and professional needs.
The Mother City is more than just an aesthetically appealing tourist destination; an internship in Cape Town could offer you a kick start to your professional career.