VACorps Program COVID-19 New & Updates
(Last Updated: February 1st, 2022)
The VACorps program re-opened to in-country internship participation on the 15th of January, 2021. You can view our latest program activities on the VACorps Instagram page. Inbound travel to South Africa is subject to a number of restrictions, namely:
- A negative COVID-19 PCR test not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin. The negative test results must be confirmed by a doctor.
- Mandatory travel insurance.
- Symptom screening upon arrival.
NOTE: There is no quarantine requirement if you travel with a negative PCR test.
Current COVID 19 infection rates in South Africa
As of February 1st, 2022, the current 7-day national moving average is 3,219 new cases per day. Nationally, there are an estimated 53,668 active cases, pop. 60 million (5.5 per 100 000 people).
There are currently 4,575 active COVID cases in the Western Cape Province (pop. 7 million) the province where Cape Town is located. To see our current curve and infection rates, click here.
Current domestic restrictions in South Africa
- South Africa is currently on Level 1 of lockdown restrictions.
- Gatherings of 750 people indoors and 2000 people outdoors are permitted.
- Wearing a mask in public is compulsory in public spaces. It is a criminal offense not to be wearing a mask in public.
- All businesses and office spaces are allowed to operate subject to social distancing rules.
Adjusted COVID Regulations as of February 1st, 2022
- Those who test positive with no symptoms do not have to isolate.
- If you test positive with symptoms, the isolation period has been reduced from 10 to 7 days.
- Contacts do not have to isolate unless they develop symptoms.
“The rationale for these amendments is informed by the proportion of people with immunity to Covid-19 which has risen substantially, exceeding 60-80% in several sero-surveys. The South Africa Cabinet also reviewed the resumption of schooling to full-time learning in all schools. Primary, secondary, and special schools will return to daily attendance. The regulatory provision for the social distancing of one metre for learners in schools has also been removed.”
NOTE: The South African government announced that it would not implement any further “hard lockdowns”, so future participants will not be subject to “shelter-in-place” style lockdowns that have been implemented in various countries in Europe.
VACorps has designed and implemented a number of COVID 19 health and safety protocols designed to keep our program participants, staff, placement sites, and the general public safe. For details please see our website, or click here.