As a participant of one of our journalism internships abroad, you will gain experience working within a foreign media while producing work that will help you develop your professional portfolio.
South Africa is home to a very active and outspoken media that takes its role as the “fourth estate” quite seriously. During Apartheid, the government routinely censored media content if it contained any sympathies towards the anti-Apartheid movement. Today, freedom of press is alive and well in South Africa, and journalists regularly launch vocal opposition to controversial government practices.
The South African Parliament is located in Cape Town and you will enjoy the opportunity to cover South Africa’s complex political landscape if you have an interest in political journalism. Several of South Africa’s leading magazines have editorial offices in the city and journalism internship opportunities exist with local publications such as outdoor magazines and travel guides. Any journalism student should consider applying to our program because we have internships that will satisfy most majors. Past internship placements within the field of journalism and communications have included the following:
- Copy writing
- News editorial
- Broadcast journalism
- Documentary Film
- Online media
- Work with South African journalists and communications professionals.
- Get your work published and build your professional portfolio.
- Live and work in Cape Town, a city with a wealth of subject matter.
- Spend much of your time exploring the city as opposed to working behind a desk.
- Establish international professional contacts.
- Work within an industry that uses the same professional standards as The States or Europe.
- Receive an internship placement that directly relates to your career objectives within the field of journalism and communications.
Interning within the South African media is an experience you are not soon to forget. Please contact us today to fin dout more about what oppertunities we have available.