The following services are included in your program tuition:
- We guarantee you an internship placement in accordance with our placement philosophy.
- We’re based exclusively in Cape Town which allows us to provide top-tiered on-the-ground staff support.
- We provide pre-arrival information and local guides & resources to help you prepare you for your trip before, during, and after your program.
- We guarantee program housing in Observatory through a local student-housing provider (also known as ‘Obs’ to locals).
- Personalized airport pickups/drop-offs by a member of the VACorps staff.
- Participation in our compulsory 2-day arrival orientation (in-office + a day-tour of the Cape Peninsula).
- On-site introduction during your first day and internship-related support & mentorship all throughout your time in the program.
- Local SIM cards for all program participants.
- Access to an after-hours emergency hotline exclusive to VACorps interns.
- Participation in our weekly Culture Series on Monday evenings to experience local Xhosa-culture, language lessons, ‘Kaap slang’, and South African cuisine.
- Weekly Social Gatherings (wine tasting, yoga, sailing, surfing lessons, cheetah conservation outreach, brewery tours, beach days, hiking, community outreach, local braais, and many more!) All weekly activities are included in your program tuition.
- We offer loads of fun extras like exclusive camping weekends away and longer trips to neighbouring countries such as Mozambique.
- Lifetime membership in an exclusive network of incredibly driven and adventurous students & young professionals from across the globe!
- Access to discounted tours & travels rates exclusive to VACorps interns.
- Support and trip-planning for parents who wish to visit!
The most popular times of year to join VACorps:
If you are accepted to the program, you will be offered a position within the dates that best matches your schedule. Although we offer flexibility on start/end dates, here’s a breakdown of the most popular times of year to join.
Program Session Dates + BEST Arrival Dates for 2019
- Session 1 January 13th – April 11th (BEST arrival dates: Jan 13-14, Feb 3-4, Mar 3-4)
- Session 2 May 1st – July 1st (BEST arrival dates: May 5-6, May 19-20, June 2-3)
- Session 3 July 1st – September 15th (BEST arrival dates: June 30-July 1, July 13-14)
- Session 4 September 1st – November 29th (BEST arrival dates: Sep 1-2, Sep 15-16, Oct 5-6)
We recommend that you arrive on one of the “Best Arrival Dates” listed above because this ensures that you will participate in your orientation, walking tour, and bus tour with other new interns who have just arrived in the city. These events are far more enjoyable when experienced with a group and it’s really fun to explore a new city with other individuals, who like you, are visiting the city for the first time and don’t know anyone in Cape Town.
Past participants have noted that some of their best friendships were established during their first few days in Cape Town. Remember that anyone who is accepted to the VACorps program is adventurous, open-minded and culturally curious! So the program orientation is an ideal place to connect with your fellow program participants and start planning adventures and excursions in Cape Town. If you arrive outside of Best Arrival Dates, there is a chance you will be the only person attending the orientation and you may not establish friendships as quickly.
*Please note that we do not accept program arrivals in December or during the last two weeks of April.
When accepted to the VACorps international internship program, your tuition options are as follows:
|Length of internship
||+ MozKruger Trip
|Standard Program (4-12 weeks)
|Double internship (2 placements)
*Please note that not all internships are available for periods greater than 3 months
What isn’t included in our program fee?