Students with a strong theoretical understanding of human anatomy/physiology, developmental psychology and/or prior experience working in rehabilitative settings should consider an occupational therapy internship abroad with VACorps.
VACorps has established occupational therapy internship opportunities with hospitals/rehabilitative settings, geriatric centers, at mainstream or special-needs schools, and certain NGO/NPO settings. We have placed program participants at internship sites in the following occupational therapy settings:
- Pediatric occupational therapy
- Geriatric occupational therapy
- Rehabilitative occupational therapy
- Mental health occupational therapy
VACorps, in partnership with South African universities, offers clinical OT placement options in all of the OT fields mentioned above. We highly recommend going this route if you are a post-grad OT student. Many of the placements include a strong teaching component. You will participate in services that cover both discipline-specific populations and interdisciplinary content so that you become familiar with the roles of other service providers and begin to understand the holistic approach necessary to serve patients with excellence.
We will assist in the process of completing all university internship administration and will ensure that internships meet your necessary university requirements. Clinical OT internships provide you with opportunities to expand your knowledge and gain clinical experience. You will be paired with experienced clinicians as your direct supervisors and will be immersed in a culture of learning that is exciting and will help prepare you for your future career.
Highlights of past clinical OT internships have included the following:
- Provide daily documentation of group sessions, 1:1 sessions, integrated health, and other reports.
- Provide a safe and ethical experience that adheres to a professional code of ethics.
- Collaborate with supervisors to develop clinical and professional skills resulting in entry-level competency by the end of your internship.
- Get fully involved as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience staff meetings, ward rounds and problem-solving sessions and be included in all in-service and team-building opportunities.
- Be involved in the assessments of patients with diverse presentations while identifying their individual sensory, physical, social and environmental needs.
- Assist in the development and delivery of individualized intervention programs.
- Provide evidence-based assessments and recommend the best course of intervention.
- Evaluate client progress, reassess and alter intervention programs as required
Please note that as per South African law, a clinical internship placement requires registration with a South African university and there are additional student registration fees involved. If you are a candidate for a clinical OT internship, please contact us for more information about registration costs.